Friday, September 10, 2010

Puccini's "Tosca"

Bobi got her father an amazing book on Opera's masterworks. The pictures alone were stunning and I had to own a copy for myself. Since I've had it I've been dying to do a mock poster for an opera. So seizing on this little break in work - I did one for Tosca.

Drew it out quick in my sketchbook and decided to just use the pencil instead of inking over it.
Photobucket

Then clip & tipped* some old images to create a rug with an early-19th century feel. Rug aficionados - please refrain from blowing up my comment section.
Photobucket

Digi-digi...
Photobucket

Photobucket

I wanted so badly for the text to lay over Scarpia's body in shadow to mimic Tosca herself standing over him. But I didn't initially plan for that when drawing out the composition so I had to improvise.
Photobucket







*a nod to one Mr. Chris Stubbs for an invaluable term to add to my lexicon.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Nicely lit piece amigo!